A great way to immerse yourself in the kiwi culture is by buying local produce and products. Markets are a great way to see what the local’s love and value, and are a great way of supporting local businesses. The markets mainly take place on the weekends, and there are many around the city to choose from while you are in Christchurch. We have picked out a few for you, but we would love your feedback on your favorite markets!
Christchurch Farmers market
- This is a must see for travellers, set in the idyllic Riccarton bush amongst the trees and chirping of birds. The Riccarton market will keep you busy for the afternoon, and is a great market for a sunny day! There is plenty of local produce to choose from and while you are there you can pick up a sweet treat or maybe a savory treat! Situated close to this is a weekly market, so we recommend hanging out for this one. Saturdays 9am-1pm.
The Riccarton Market
- Take the yellow bus line to this market, at Riccarton Racecourse you will find an extensive range of stalls to cater for every interest. There are food stalls, fruit and vegetable stalls, arts and crafts and much more! This is the largest Christchurch market, and will entertain you for hours. So much to choose from and a great atmosphere! Sundays 9am – 2pm.
New Brighton Market
- New Brighton is a colorful beachside suburb in Christchurch; the bustling Saturday market is a nice way to spend a couple of hours. You will enjoy a fresh sea breeze as you browse the market place, there are many local gems amongst the stalls. Once you have finished have a wander down the beach, and spend the rest of the afternoon exploring surrounding area. Saturdays 9am – 3pm.
Opawa Farmers Market
- An awesome option if you desire local organic produce. All of the stalls at this market are vegetarian and many are vegan, with a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. The Opawa farmers market also frequently hosts events, to keep their market goers entertained! Sundays 9am – 12pm.
- Do you feel in the mood to get out of the town for a bit? Lyttelton is located a short drive through the Port Hills, the port town is tucked away but is home to a celebrated market place. The market takes place on the main street of Lyttelton. Saturday 10am – 1pm.
We hope while you are here in Christchurch you will try one of these local markets, and give us some feedback on your favorite!